Thomas J. MacDonald
Get Your Rough Cut DVDs and Plans!
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 14 3:27 am View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Rust forming on tools

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 11 11:10 pm   
Bench Dog

I'm posting this here, as this is the best place I could find. It covers hand tools and power tools.

I have a free standing shop that over the last couple of years has seemed to have an increased moisture content. The shop has a concrete floor with one half epoxied. I'm in the process of putting a wood floor on top of the concreate which should help with a couple of issues. Those issues being standing for long periods of time on concreate and inslutation for the cold Upstate NY winters. I'm thinking about even adding a dehumidifer.

Basiclly any and all metal tools have surface rust that seems to form over time. I do my best to spray them with T4 and apply wax coatings. I know - if I spent more time in the shop working I would have this problem. The shop has an air conditioner, however, we haven't really had to many days that it has needed to be on.

I'm in the process of cleaning the shop and will be adding some new cabinets to place my tools in this weekend. Is there anything that can go into the drawers or cabinets that would help to decrease any rusting issues?

thanks

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 11 6:30 am   
Bench Dog

With rust problems the first situation to address is humidity. It seems your regimen of taking care of the tools (cleaning/waxing) is no having much of an effect.

I would say your primary concern is humidity control, and I say that from your statement "Basiclly any and all metal tools have surface rust that seems to form over time."

Cement is a natural wick for water so any moisture under the slab will transfer through the slab and into the room. I would consider running the air on a continual basis until you get the humidity under control. You can keep the shop at a very comfortable temperature and still maintain humidity control.

Sealing the rest of the cement with epoxy, then laying your vapor barrier down and the wood floor would help control this invasion of moisture.

Is the shop well insulated with a proper vapor barrier on walls and ceiling?

As for the drawers and cabinets, silica gel packets work and can be re-constituted in the microwave.

But I am thinking once you have the humidity under control your rust problems should basically disappear to the occassional.

Have a wonderful day.

You will never know what your capabable of until you try.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 11 6:33 am   
Bench Dog

Bud,
The rust prevention work is something that has to just become part of your regular woodshop routine like sharpening and tuning. As you mentioned frequency of use, dehumidifiers and AC wil l just help keep the rust at bay.. But you'll still need to wax and steelwool the surfaces to keep them shiny and new looking. Luckily here in Colorado, being around or below 18% relative humidity my rust issues are only associated with sweaty hand prints and beverage condensation rings.
One product you could try adding to your toolbox, drawers and wallcabinets is humidity absorbant silicon packets. Garrett-Wade use to sell them.. and I'm sure many other retailers have them for sale. I've heard great things about them, but they can get expensive.

When I lived in Mass. I used Camilia Oil from LN to wipe down my tools after using them. Worked great and just became part of my clean-up process.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 11 9:29 am   
Bench Dog

What season does the rust tend to be the worst?

Rapid fluctuations shop temps tend to increase condensation, especially for large chunks of cast iron.

Lowe's sells drawer liners that has some of of that rust preventive in it. Its similar to a product that gun owners put into their safes.

As the sun pulls away from the shore, and our boat sinks slowly in the west...

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 11 8:12 pm   
Bench Dog

For years it use to be spring, however, the last couple of years it seems to be more summer rust issues than any other time of the year.

Spent most of today with steel wool, T4 and wax going over all the large equipment - no matter what the metal. The cast iron got the most TLC. Also pulled the 20" planer apart and oiled, lubed and everything else.

Tomorrow I'll finish the tool stand, cabinets, and lay out the handtool positions. Monday I'll take a little time and steel wool, t4 and wax them guys up.

The insulation is fair - walls are good, doors fair (1sm one to be replaced), windows will be replacing with Low e argon filled x4, working on the sub-floor so that should help. Then I'll add more to the ceiling in the fall.

I'll also follow up with the other suggestions you guys gave. In checking the other forums this seems to be a problem this year.

Profile WWW  

Forum rules
By using this forum and/or its affiliated web sites, you are agreeing that under no circumstances will the owners, moderators, its affiliates, or any other member listed on this site be responsible for (1) any information contained on or omitted from the site(s), (2) any person's reliance on any such information, whether or not the information is correct, current or complete, (3) the consequences of any action you or any other person takes or fails to take, whether or not based on information provided by or as a result of the use of the sites. 207 Woodworking, 207 Forum, Thomas J. MacDonald Fine Furniture, Inc. and their affiliates also have no responsibility for (4) any person's satisfaction or use/misuse of any information or advice obtained through these sites.

The Owner and Moderators of this site do not attest to the veracity of, nor accept any liability for, the opinions or suggestions posted by any individuals on either site. When using tools, equipment or chemicals, one should always read, understand and follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and disposal.