Thomas J. MacDonald
Get Your Rough Cut DVDs and Plans!
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 14 8:41 pm View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours

a guitar play-by-play

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 11 11:43 pm   
Spectator

Hey guys,

I'm new here on the T-Mac forum. I make guitars and I created a blog last year to document one guitar from beginning to completion (I've since added more posts to the blog). I hope it's ok to use a link instead of posting the photos here. The blog defaults to the most recent post, so you have to go back to the first post to see where it starts.

hovisguitars.blogspot.com

Thanks,

Bart Hovis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 11 1:53 am   
Lumber Ruler

I've made your link clickable

Geetar Man

Thats some nice work you have done there, I've done a lot of fine furniture, but never tried my hand at a guitar. Can you buy kit's?

Mark

Mark Rhodes Furniture

The Barn Woodshop Blog

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 11 3:26 am   
Bench Dog

Hi Bart.

Welcome to Tommy's home for wayward wood workers. Pull up a stump and set a spell. You'll find we're a pretty casual bunch here, and all of us have one fault; we're totally nuts about wood. If that description fits you too, then you've found yourself an electronic home.

Mark, in answer to your question about kits, yes, there are a number of companies making guitar kits, but I have no personal experience with any of them so am unable to comment on cost or quality.

Heck, they make a kit for just about everything these days!

Anybody know when the Angelina Jolie kit hits the stores? :lol:

Paul
the silly little guy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 11 10:13 am   
Spectator

Mark, thanks for making the link clickable! There are good kits available with varying degrees of completeness, but I think an experienced woodworker would be alright without a kit. The most important thing to get is a couple good books on the subject. I went to a guitar making school, but found that I still had a lot to learn when I started working on my own, so the books (and the internet) help a lot.

Paul, thanks for the welcome! I do love wood (and tools), and one reason I like guitar making so much is the variety of woods that you get to use on guitars.

Bart

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 11 4:13 pm   
Push Stick

Paul, in your delicate condition, I'm not sure an Angelina Jolie kit would do anything for your recouperation...then again...

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 11 8:41 pm   
Bench Dog

Hi Mike.

Too true, but the undertaker would have a heck of a job getting the smile off my face! :lol:

Paul
the little dreaming guy

Forum rules
By using this forum and/or its affiliated web sites, you are agreeing that under no circumstances will the owners, moderators, its affiliates, or any other member listed on this site be responsible for (1) any information contained on or omitted from the site(s), (2) any person's reliance on any such information, whether or not the information is correct, current or complete, (3) the consequences of any action you or any other person takes or fails to take, whether or not based on information provided by or as a result of the use of the sites. 207 Woodworking, 207 Forum, Thomas J. MacDonald Fine Furniture, Inc. and their affiliates also have no responsibility for (4) any person's satisfaction or use/misuse of any information or advice obtained through these sites.

The Owner and Moderators of this site do not attest to the veracity of, nor accept any liability for, the opinions or suggestions posted by any individuals on either site. When using tools, equipment or chemicals, one should always read, understand and follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and disposal.