I started a walnut writing desk a month or so back, and have documented the process in my video blog along the way. FLWoodRat asked me if I might be interested in also documenting my process here on the 207. While all of my footage thus far has been in video, I was able to grab some screen shots of the process along the way. Sorry for the long post, but I'm basically trying to catch up on 5 weeks worth of work in one post.
I started out doing some rough sketches, then a basic google sketchup model (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=ed2592a70e49a283f04a4560b57187d9&hl=fil&ct=lc
) and then moved on to a full-size model made out of pink foam insulation.
Next I moved on to shaping the curved front rails and legs. I build a template and template routed the front profile, and then shaped the legs using the band saw and spokeshaves.
The next step was to selecting a nice piece of walnut that I could bookmatch for the twin drawer fronts. I made a cardboard "window" sized the same as the drawer openings so I could find the perfect grain pattern to use.
I then resawed the drawer front to get my matched fronts, and then used additional laminate strips over a bending form glued up with veneer glue to hold the shape. The bending form was made directly from the curved front rails to ensure the drawer profile would match exactly (as these are inset drawers).
Cutting the dovetail sockets in the curved drawer fronts was one of the most challenging aspects so far. Since the surface is irregular, it requires a rabbet cut into the back (done with a rabbet plane).
I was able to use the bending form again to help support and hold the piece while wasting out between the pins by hand.
The half-blinds came out fairly well especially given the added degree of difficulty with the odd angle, extra rabbet, and curved drawer front.
I've now got one drawer completed, and plan to have the second one wrapped up in the next few days so I can move on to building the top and doing some string inlay.