Yeah, I know it's been a while since I gave you an update. But, work has kept me quite busy, but I got off of the Mid Night Shift Thursday morning. Rested most of yesterday and got to work early this morning in the shop.
The first thing I did was cross cut the rails and stiles to length, then using my stacking Dado Blades, I ripped the mortises in the rail stock.
Here is a pic of the dado set up.
DSCF2459.JPG [ 1.83 MiB | Viewed 2069 times ]
It took 8 passes to cut each of the two dados. After making the first cut, I rotated the rail end for end and made a second pass. This kept the dado centered on the rail. The remaining six cuts were made at progressively higher blade settings. Nothing was measured. When they looked deep enough, I stopped cutting.
After that was done, I set up my shop made tenoning jig to make the cheek face cuts.
Here are a couple of pics of the Tenoning Jig with one of the stiles on it.
Cutting Tenons 2.jpg [ 1.71 MiB | Viewed 2069 times ]
Tenoning Jig With Clamps.jpg [ 1.74 MiB | Viewed 2069 times ]
I use two clamps to keep it tight to the fences.
After cutting the tenon faces, it was time to remove the cheek waste. I set up a stop block on my rip fence, then cross cut them.
Removing Tenon Cheeks.jpg [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 2069 times ]
Removing Tenon Cheeks back view.jpg [ 1.77 MiB | Viewed 2069 times ]
With the tenons and cheeks cut, it was time for a dry fit.
DSCF2468.JPG [ 1.76 MiB | Viewed 2069 times ]
Here is a close up of one of the joints.
Mortise and Tenon Close Up.jpg [ 306.76 KiB | Viewed 2069 times ]
After lunch I will take everything apart and do the glue up.
FYI, the outside faces will get sheathed in solid walnut and the top surfaces get strips of 31/32" solid core cherry face ply applied.
I might get to milling up the walnut stock tomorrow.