Thomas J. MacDonald
Get Your Rough Cut DVDs and Plans!
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 14 3:10 am View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours

My contribution

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 12 8:06 pm   
Spectator

Here are a few pics of what Ive worked on over the last 2 years. I used to work at a cabinet shop and got sick of building boxes all day so I started making some of my own stuff to distribute to family members. Hope you guys like it. Its pretty intimidating put this up against some of the stuff Ive been looking at for the last couple hours.

Attachments:
File comment: This is a plaque I made for the Marine Corps League. I am a big fan of marquetry.
DSCN0377.JPG
DSCN0377.JPG [ 286.07 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
File comment: Small cabinet I made for my mom. Its hard to tell but the front is curved and doors are coopered.
cooperd cabinet.jpg
cooperd cabinet.jpg [ 41.14 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
File comment: A small table I made for the guys in charge of the Junior Marines at Adams City High School in Colorado.
plaque.jpg
plaque.jpg [ 57.11 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
File comment: Close up of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. The top diameter was about 22"
close up.jpg
close up.jpg [ 69.85 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
File comment: Here is a design that came with one of Paul Schurchs DVDs
Flower table top view.jpg
Flower table top view.jpg [ 151.27 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
File comment: My first attempt at carving legs for a table. Not all that happy with the end product as I look back on it.
Flower table angled front view.jpg
Flower table angled front view.jpg [ 141.56 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
File comment: This is the top of the cabinet I made for my mom. Forgot to put this one in with the other one.
coopered cabinet top view.jpg
coopered cabinet top view.jpg [ 40.01 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
File comment: Matching shelves I made for my in-laws.
double shelves.jpg
double shelves.jpg [ 65.79 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
Wall shelf front view.jpg
Wall shelf front view.jpg [ 63.63 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
File comment: No metal slides.
Wall shelf drawer open.jpg
Wall shelf drawer open.jpg [ 68.28 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
 PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 12 12:21 am   
Green Lumber

Remember what you paid for this comment but...

I see no reason for you to be intimidated. Very cool stuff. Some of us are still years away from stuff half that nice. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 12 8:28 am   
Bench Dog

very nice work!

what caught my eye was putting your own personal sense of design style, on functional furniture. Your table looked and acted like a table, but is you added your own style to it.

How did you hang the wall unit?

As the sun pulls away from the shore, and our boat sinks slowly in the west...

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 12 2:03 pm   
Spectator

Thanks. I am very modest. I know I can put out quality pieces but when I look around this forum and see some of the more traditional pieces and all of the work that goes into that, I feel like I still have a lot more to learn when it comes to this stuff. But, I also think you can never know all there is to know so I will always be learning.

The thing that seems to bother me the most about the table with the flowers is that it just appears to be bow-legged. I dont know if I left too much material up top or the legs got too thin toward the middle or what, it just looks off to me.

The wall units are hung with wall cleats that I screwed to the wall and left a recess in each one to accept it, then screwed into from the bottom so the screws arent as noticeable.

I also wanted to add that that Marine Corps table consists of about 400 individual pieces of veneer.

Here is something else I have been working on for a while. I still need to figure out how to get the drawer to pull out smoothly. Right now it just seems I have to force it open. I did it with sliding dovetails. I dont know if wax would help or hurt. You can also see the front where the drawer meets the frame sags just slightly. I think I need to add in some kind of hidden reinforcement. I need to put something between the braces to cover the drawer when it is closed anyways so I am hoping that this will take care of all of the above problems. I only just now thought that the sagging could be a reason for the drawer being hard to pull out.

Anyway, enjoy, and as always, please, any tips, pointers, suggestions, comments and remarks are welcome.

Attachments:
File comment: Drawing of what I want to inlay
DSCN0185.JPG
DSCN0185.JPG [ 215.48 KiB | Viewed 872 times ]
File comment: Trying to put it together in my head
DSCN0186.JPG
DSCN0186.JPG [ 202.97 KiB | Viewed 872 times ]
File comment: Final inlay pieces all glued together
DSCN0212.JPG
DSCN0212.JPG [ 232.78 KiB | Viewed 872 times ]
File comment: Ready to start routing
DSCN0211.JPG
DSCN0211.JPG [ 230.78 KiB | Viewed 872 times ]
File comment: All sanded and scraped, ready for engraving
DSCN0213.JPG
DSCN0213.JPG [ 259.04 KiB | Viewed 872 times ]
File comment: The dreaded close up that shows all of my mistakes
DSCN0215.JPG
DSCN0215.JPG [ 278.63 KiB | Viewed 872 times ]
File comment: After a little bit of orange dye to liven it up
DSCN0245email.jpg
DSCN0245email.jpg [ 280.19 KiB | Viewed 872 times ]
DSCN0243email.jpg
DSCN0243email.jpg [ 287.68 KiB | Viewed 872 times ]
DSCN0244email.jpg
DSCN0244email.jpg [ 281.26 KiB | Viewed 872 times ]
File comment: Swimming upstream
DSCN0261email.jpg
DSCN0261email.jpg [ 236.61 KiB | Viewed 872 times ]
 PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 12 3:42 am   
Bench Dog

Nicely done Mr. Hatfield.

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 12 8:20 am   
Bench Dog

that fish is spectacular!

regarding the legs. ifr you can post some other pic of them looking straight on. (as if you drew them on paper) maybe we can talk about them inthe design forum.

you used sliding dovetails for draw runners?

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 12 8:53 am   
Spectator

Thank you both.

I will get some other pics of the table in question.

Yes, I did use sliding dovetails for the drawer runners. Is that a bad idea?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 12 11:51 am   
Bench Dog

Nice pieces. I like the block mottle makore marine table.

Aside from what I assume appears to be abalone, what did you use for the body of the coy fish?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 12 1:06 pm   
Spectator

Youre right, the "water" is blue paua abalone. The rest is made of different colors of mother-of-pearl. The back fin is black m.o.p., the small parts around the mouth are gold m.o.p. and the rest is white m.o.p. that is dyed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 12 2:00 pm   
Bench Dog

where did you get the mother of pearl?

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 12 4:39 pm   
Spectator

I got it from Andy DePaule, her is a link to his webpage http://www.luthiersupply.com/ It is a luthier supply site, I also build guitars from time to time. Andy is really nice though, if you order from them you will have to call in your order and if you talk over your idea with him hes pretty good at picking out the right size pieces for you and pieces with the right color or effect for your project. Also notice that he is in the Pacific Time Zone if you do call, he can be hard to get ahold of but usually calls you back the same day.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 12 4:47 pm   
Push Stick

Beautiful work! All of the pieces shown in the pictures are top notch! We Hatfield's do have talent. I would like to see some pics of your guitars also, I bet they are beautiful also. More pics please.

Ballard Pops

Forum rules
By using this forum and/or its affiliated web sites, you are agreeing that under no circumstances will the owners, moderators, its affiliates, or any other member listed on this site be responsible for (1) any information contained on or omitted from the site(s), (2) any person's reliance on any such information, whether or not the information is correct, current or complete, (3) the consequences of any action you or any other person takes or fails to take, whether or not based on information provided by or as a result of the use of the sites. 207 Woodworking, 207 Forum, Thomas J. MacDonald Fine Furniture, Inc. and their affiliates also have no responsibility for (4) any person's satisfaction or use/misuse of any information or advice obtained through these sites.

The Owner and Moderators of this site do not attest to the veracity of, nor accept any liability for, the opinions or suggestions posted by any individuals on either site. When using tools, equipment or chemicals, one should always read, understand and follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and disposal.