All times are UTC - 5 hours

wood strip kayaks/canoes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 12 9:44 am   
Spectator

Attachment:
bootleggersmall.jpg
bootleggersmall.jpg [ 62.44 KiB | Viewed 622 times ]
Hi,

In the link below are a few pictures of wood strip watercraft I've built over the last few years. The picture below is a 2 person kayak based on Nick Schade's Bootlegger design. Being encapsulated in a shell of fiberglass allows for strength and helps keep them relatively lightweight considering the wood strips are about 1/4" thick. Anyway, that's my woodworking hobby I've picked up the last few years. Thanks!

boats I've built in the following pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/19107789@N02/5031550015/

Last edited by hanso59 on Fri Jan 27, 12 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 12 6:41 pm   
Lumber Ruler

A beautiful piece of work. I'd really love to see the step by step photographs and narrative. What does the framing look like inside? How do you attach your strips? Do you hand plane each strip to match the next or do you run them through a jointer with the fence angled? etc.
Again, really nice work.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 12 11:12 am   
Spectator

Hi,

The following link is a short article I wrote (from a hobbyist standpoint) summarizing some of the steps in this construction process. It contains some pictures of the single person kayak I built, and just hits on some of the questions ERobert asked in the preceding reply.

To elaborate a bit more, the strips are cut off the edge of a plank of the given wood choice I am using. This is usually cedar or any other lightweight wood. I've found that getting a plank 8ft. to 10ft. long by about 3/4" thick by 6" to 8" wide is a size that one person can manage as you cut the strips on a table saw. With the fence set about 1/4" from the blade you get a strip that is 3/4" wide by 1/4" thick by the length of the plank. After the strips are cut, optionally is to run them thru a router to put a bead on one side and a cove on the other. The strips are then attached to the forms by using a staple gun (there are other methods too, but this is the quickest). Each subsequent strip is then edge glued (any ole' quality wood glue) before attaching to the forms. After the strips are attached and the glue is dried, you go thru the wonderfully fun task of pulling all the staples - ha. No need to worry however, as the process of sanding and wetting down the wood causes them to swell shut (mostly). And then the fiberglass shell seals it all shut anyway. So with that here is the link that shows a bit more, and of course if there are more questions, I would be glad to answer them. Again, this is just coming from a hobbyist who has found this to be a pretty cool past time.

http://www.goneseakayaking.com/articles ... trip-kayak

Forum rules
By using this forum and/or its affiliated web sites, you are agreeing that under no circumstances will the owners, moderators, its affiliates, or any other member listed on this site be responsible for (1) any information contained on or omitted from the site(s), (2) any person's reliance on any such information, whether or not the information is correct, current or complete, (3) the consequences of any action you or any other person takes or fails to take, whether or not based on information provided by or as a result of the use of the sites. 207 Woodworking, 207 Forum, Thomas J. MacDonald Fine Furniture, Inc. and their affiliates also have no responsibility for (4) any person's satisfaction or use/misuse of any information or advice obtained through these sites.

The Owner and Moderators of this site do not attest to the veracity of, nor accept any liability for, the opinions or suggestions posted by any individuals on either site. When using tools, equipment or chemicals, one should always read, understand and follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and disposal.