Thomas J. MacDonald
Get Your Rough Cut DVDs and Plans!
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 14 1:35 pm View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Bookshelf For my wife

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 12 3:41 pm   
Spectator

Hey Guys - Just finished this bookshelf for my wife. One of my first major projects, so be kind.

Made a lot of mistakes, learned a bunch.

I used construction grade 2x10's for the shelving - UGH! never again
The molding on the front is Black walnut I've had laying around for a few years.

Lots of Hand planing, sanding, etc. etc.

Tell me what you think.
Attachment:
Photo009.jpg
Photo009.jpg [ 236.12 KiB | Viewed 1078 times ]

Attachments:
Photo010.jpg
Photo010.jpg [ 169.91 KiB | Viewed 1078 times ]
Photo011.jpg
Photo011.jpg [ 173.93 KiB | Viewed 1078 times ]
Photo012.jpg
Photo012.jpg [ 273.65 KiB | Viewed 1078 times ]
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 12 2:43 am   
Bench Dog

Kenny B,,

Welcome to our Forum.

Not too bad at all for your first effort. I'm glad to see you included a good set of photos that show detail. You could provide a little more information on your joinery techniques.

I have two critique items:

I don't particularly care for the walnut/fir combination. Giving the walnut a profile was a cool idea. Next time consider squaring off the inside corners with a chisel.

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 12 8:13 am   
Bench Dog

KennyB221 wrote:
Made a lot of mistakes, learned a bunch.

Embrace your mistakes and learn from them, but don't tell anyone about them. 99% of the people won't know any better.

That is why actually building things is very important. woodworking is a skill not a thought exercise in school. You can memorize all the magazine articles in the world, and have all the answers, until you make something with your hands, you have'nt done anything.

If you want a specific critique on design and such here goes. keep in mind that my own taste are different than someone elses.

Fill it up with books then post a picture. Book shelves with nothing on them never look right to my eye. People see the books and never notice the book shelf

the 2x10 southern yellow pine won't sag over that span. A major plus in my mind

the short end shelves, and top. I'd think about making those a 1/4 of a circle. I have 2 reasons, one is pure aesthetics and the other is practical. Walking by the bookshelf, that sharp corner is likly to get bumped into.

the cove in the walnut leaps out to my eye, it looks large to me. (again no books so its hard to really tell.) I'd probbaly use a small round over profile, though a smaller cove could look pretty sharp.

As the sun pulls away from the shore, and our boat sinks slowly in the west...

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 12 12:08 pm   
Spectator

Thanks guys -
Joinery - everything was dadoed and glued together. I used through dados for the uprights and realized too late that I should have used blind dados. That's the reason for the walnut trim. I just used a butt joint on the ends.

The reason I used walnut is because that's what I had. I agree that it's not the best combination, but sometimes you gotta go with what you have on hand.

I do like the idea of going with a 1/4 round on the ends, though - didn't think of that.

The reason I didn't like the 2x 10 yellow pine was that after I cut it, it started twisting along the length. It took a while to straighten out. Next time, I'll be more careful to pick out better wood.

Good critique, though. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 12 5:39 pm   
Bench Dog

construction grade lumber is around 18-20% moisture content, sometimes more if its stored outdoors. I used 2x10s on my work bench undercarraige and planned to let it acclimate for about 6-8 weeks. It ended up being far longer becaseu of the procrastination thing I do.

Bending the walnut around 1/4 round would have been difficult. You'd have to steam or laminate the facing.

If you hadn't told us about the through dado. We never would have known the walnut was covering up a mistake. I just assumed the walnut was a design element.

Thanks for being a good sport about the critique.

As the sun pulls away from the shore, and our boat sinks slowly in the west...

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 12 10:21 pm   
Spectator

farms100 wrote:
It ended up being far longer becaseu of the procrastination thing I do.

I know what you mean - this has been in the works for 6 months

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 12 11:43 am   
Bench Dog

Sign posted on the bulletin board during my university days:

"The seminar on procrastination has been postponed: again."

Paul
the tongue in cheek little guy

Forum rules
By using this forum and/or its affiliated web sites, you are agreeing that under no circumstances will the owners, moderators, its affiliates, or any other member listed on this site be responsible for (1) any information contained on or omitted from the site(s), (2) any person's reliance on any such information, whether or not the information is correct, current or complete, (3) the consequences of any action you or any other person takes or fails to take, whether or not based on information provided by or as a result of the use of the sites. 207 Woodworking, 207 Forum, Thomas J. MacDonald Fine Furniture, Inc. and their affiliates also have no responsibility for (4) any person's satisfaction or use/misuse of any information or advice obtained through these sites.

The Owner and Moderators of this site do not attest to the veracity of, nor accept any liability for, the opinions or suggestions posted by any individuals on either site. When using tools, equipment or chemicals, one should always read, understand and follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and disposal.