Thomas J. MacDonald
Get Your Rough Cut DVDs and Plans!
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 14 12:14 am View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Wooton Desk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 11 9:21 pm   
Bench Dog

Just saw this post after catching up on some topics. I believe davidfe posted it.

So what does everyone think about this idea for a joint 207 thread?

For some reason the link would not open for me, but I did find some interesting closeups etc @ the smithsonian

Anyone game?

Quote:
I was recalling a desk I had read about quite a while ago. It was the Wooton Patent Desk in FWW March/April 1991.

http://www.wootondesks.com/ has a number of stunning examples.

There are so many beautiful examples.

I would ask Tommy and all to develop a set of instructions
that could lead to the creation of such a beauty.

I think the group input into this ambitious dream would
provide some excellent direction and problem solving
into some of the complex / difficult furniture.

I am thinking it could be assumed that you / we possess measured
drawings etc. The Internet has a wide variety of photographs
which could help illustrate the process / step needed to achieve
this type of a dream.

No construction - per se - would be included except to maybe
fully expand some detail not otherwise easily understood.

Tommy and other with formal training - the Bombe Chest - displays
his ability to lead / guide us.

Just a selfish suggestion to help visualize and learn the steps
to mentally build it.

You will never know what your capabable of until you try.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 11 5:59 am   
Bench Dog

I'm all for the idea. While I could never afford to build one, and have nowhere near enough room for it if I did, the mental exercise would be great.

Who wants to get the ball rolling and what should we discuss first? Design, wood selection, hardware? I'm on the edge of my seat in expectation!

Paul
the enthusiastic little guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 11 7:55 am   
Bench Dog

Probably the original design, I would think the group would want to stay with original dimensions. Then a complete set of working plans to study, and study and study :lol:

Richard

You will never know what your capabable of until you try.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 12 5:17 pm   
Spectator

I just came across this site, and it is my first time to post here.

After about 20 years of "thinking" about making a Wooton desk, I managed to actually make my version of one last year.

I posted some pictures of the final version on the Fine Woodworking website

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/395 ... pired-desk

It was really an amazing experience making this. I managed to get access to an original in a museum, and they let me play with it and take dimensions.

If anyone wants to pursue this, I can share what I have. Don't expect super detail on the plans, but I can help with some of the roadblocks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 12 10:21 am   
Spectator

I am new to this site, and came across this posting. If anyone is still interested in building a Wooton desk, I have built my own version of this classic desk. It was a great project, and would be happy to share my documentation- just don't expect great detailed drawings. I was able to visit a museum with an original desk, and they let me take pictures, and play with the desk.

Mike Thompson

Attachments:
Desk open angle.jpg
Desk open angle.jpg [ 589.64 KiB | Viewed 1470 times ]
 PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 12 4:03 pm   
Bench Dog

Original working drawing are available, you need to first decide what of the three styles you want to reproduce, standard, ladies or supreme.

Then find the patent number of the style your interested in and submit a request to the USPO to examine the patent details, or have a photocopy of all plan details sent to you.

Patents issued back then had to have detailed working drawing associated with them to receive a patent number.

Any changes or modifications too the original also had to have detailed drawings. You'll only find bits and pieces on the internet because there's a fee for them.

Reproduction hardware is also available cast from the originals, plan on upwards of 3000.00 for the hardware alone.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=yNdOAA ... sk&f=false

http://www.google.com/patents?id=YgZPAA ... sk&f=false

http://www.google.com/patents/US155604? ... on&f=false

http://search.antiqnet.com/cgi-bin/texi ... =&basket=0

Forum rules
By using this forum and/or its affiliated web sites, you are agreeing that under no circumstances will the owners, moderators, its affiliates, or any other member listed on this site be responsible for (1) any information contained on or omitted from the site(s), (2) any person's reliance on any such information, whether or not the information is correct, current or complete, (3) the consequences of any action you or any other person takes or fails to take, whether or not based on information provided by or as a result of the use of the sites. 207 Woodworking, 207 Forum, Thomas J. MacDonald Fine Furniture, Inc. and their affiliates also have no responsibility for (4) any person's satisfaction or use/misuse of any information or advice obtained through these sites.

The Owner and Moderators of this site do not attest to the veracity of, nor accept any liability for, the opinions or suggestions posted by any individuals on either site. When using tools, equipment or chemicals, one should always read, understand and follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and disposal.