Thomas J. MacDonald
Get Your Rough Cut DVDs and Plans!
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 14 6:16 am View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Thomas White Desk 2010 - 2011

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 11 5:57 pm   
Bench Dog

Ok Mr. Hobbs.. What's happening in the shop...... We are starving for an update on this beautiful project. It's in your court Sir.

Bruce

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 11 8:18 am   
Bench Dog

FLWoodRat wrote:
Ok Mr. Hobbs.. What's happening in the shop...... We are starving for an update on this beautiful project. It's in your court Sir.

Bruce

Thanks for asking Bruce....I actually have made some progress, not a huge amount visually. Sanding, surface prep, drawer runners, locks fitted, etc.

I'll try to get some pics posted this weekend. Cal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 11 3:01 pm   
Bench Dog

Thanks Cal.. I know, sanding is just not too exciting to document on a Play by Play.... Have fun cleaning up all the dust. :lol:

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 11 8:25 pm   
Bench Dog

Sand on sand off :twisted:

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 11 11:42 am   
Bench Dog

After spending a little quality time with Ralph Macchio (thanks for that bud), I have made it a little farther.

Locks have been installed in the drawers and fallboard. The fallboard has been scraped and sanded.

I worked on the case, and have it essentially complete. The sides and top were scraped and sanded. The case corners, underneath the quarter column have a little pilaster detail, which took a little time.
Attachment:
Case corner pilaster detail.jpg
Case corner pilaster detail.jpg [ 102.39 KiB | Viewed 4955 times ]

One other case detail was completed. Typically there is an inelegant gap at the corner of the fallboard and the case, necessary due to the room needed to swing the fallboard. White resolved this with a little flourish at the corner that closes the gap, and works nicely with the lamb's tongue above the turned and fluted quarter column. It looks like this:
Attachment:
Fallboard corner detail.jpg
Fallboard corner detail.jpg [ 103.21 KiB | Viewed 4955 times ]

Now the only thing left is the finishing touches on the interior. There is still one bank of hidden drawers and a hidden well behind the prospect case. It is all secondary wood as none will be on view.

Here is the frame installed behind the box:
Attachment:
Hidden drawers frame.jpg
Hidden drawers frame.jpg [ 100.18 KiB | Viewed 4955 times ]

The drawers for this are down and dirty, but still take a little time. Here is one of them assembled:
Attachment:
Hidden dovetailed drawer.jpg
Hidden dovetailed drawer.jpg [ 102.36 KiB | Viewed 4955 times ]

As of now I have two of them assembled, here you see them stuck in their eventual home:
Attachment:
Boxes in their home.jpg
Boxes in their home.jpg [ 100.23 KiB | Viewed 4955 times ]

Lastly, as if there are not enough compartments to put doodads and knicknacks, White installed a well below the bank of drawers. The joints on mine were not really good enough, but the lid does slide back and forth.
Attachment:
HIdden well.jpg
HIdden well.jpg [ 100.38 KiB | Viewed 4955 times ]

That will do it for the latest update. Maybe more will happen soon, but please be patient with me! I have a couple of other projects that seem to be getting in the way, but so be it. Later, CH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 11 3:29 pm   
Bench Dog

Cal.. Looking great....Have another beer with Ralphie

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 11 12:14 pm   
Bench Dog

All,

My sincerest apologies on the delay getting back to this thread. Since I last posted I have not done much to the desk, except the dreaded......"move it out of the shop to make enough room for other things."

I DID build a large 6'x6' kitchen island, and installed it in a nearby kitchen for a neighor. It turned out pretty decent. I enjoyed turning the large columns that supported the stone top. Sorry, no pics (yet).

I have also started a corner cupboard that my wife "volunteered" me to build for my in-laws, a Christmas gift, so I have been working pretty hard on that one.

My current "plan" is to get back to the desk between Christmas and New Year's. So look for some updates around the 1st of the year.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. Cal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 11 10:51 am   
Bench Dog

Here's a rough picture of the corner cupboard.

Not bad since I just started on the 5th!

Attachments:
IMAG0167.JPG
IMAG0167.JPG [ 2.82 MiB | Viewed 4297 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 11 2:23 pm   
Bench Dog

Cal,

FANTASTIC...

Haven't checked in for way too long, and was very excited to see your progress. I may have missed it, but how did you do the quarter columns/pilasters/whatever on the case? Also, I've never seen the spring locks on the lopers. I'm definitely going to steal that idea if I ever have the chance to get my desk finished up. Looking forward to seeing the lid go on, too. Maybe you can show me how I should have done mine!

Hope all is well. Let's try to catch up some time after the Holidays...

Whit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 11 9:00 am   
Bench Dog

Whit!

Good to hear from you! Would love to catch up soon.

Yes, you and I have good examples of pieces that take WAY too long to finish, life gets in the way, doesn't it.

Is your desk done? Cal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 11 11:21 pm   
Bench Dog

The Christmas Cupboard......

Current status, almost ready for painting. I need to fit three adjustable shelves, and tweak the fit of the doors. Having a bit of trouble with them not laying flat. Hopefully to be delivered in a week or two.

Merry Christmas to all. Cal
Attachment:
Front view.jpg
Front view.jpg [ 52.22 KiB | Viewed 4134 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 11 2:07 pm   
Bench Dog

BE-U-T-FUL......

One question, why only one door pull? I ask from a symmetry point of view.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 11 8:51 am   
Bench Dog

Cal,

The corner cupboard is looking good. I built a similar piece (albeit built in) for a client a couple years ago, and had similar problems getting the doors straight. Despite REALLY taking my time milling the material, the stiles still wanted to bow/warp b/c of the doors height. Charles Neil had a couple good tricks for straightening them up. If I remember correctly, it involved using a temporary stop that when closed, caused the door to sort of hyperextended past the point to which it needed to be corrected. After a couple days in this exaggerated position, it sprung back pretty close to where it needed to be. I'll see if I can locate the video/podcast if it would help. (Not that you need much of it, I'm sure....)

Good luck, and have a great New Year's!

Whit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 11 2:13 pm   
Bench Dog

Whit,

Well, I haven't seen the Neil video, but I did try to spring the warp the other way a few days ago, to no avail.

In the end I just kicked one of the hinges out on the bottom, which helped correct the problem, and I hand planes the top left and bottom right of the door which all helped. Then I added a bead which helped hide it a little more, not to mention correct the symmetry of the stiles. I think it's sellable.

NYNY,

The right leaf is the "active" leaf, and overlaps the left leaf. So a knob on the left wouldn't be workable. I do think one on the left would help with the symmetry though.

The milk paint was easier than I thought it would be. The first red coat covered tremendously well, and sanded really nicely to a dusty powder, revealing some of the wood underneath. The black was tougher to get to cover, but still went well and sanded nicely.

A quick coat of minwax antique oil to seal it in, and here you go, ready to deliver.

Attachments:
IMAG0170.jpg
IMAG0170.jpg [ 50.41 KiB | Viewed 3992 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 12 11:01 am   
Bench Dog

Well,

Taking this week off and not traveling anywhere has allowed me to get back to the desk. What I realized was that I was really close to being finished.

So, I built the document drawers, installed the spring lock for the prospect door, tweaked a few other things and started the finishing process. There are several things that will need to be done after finishing, such as the mortises for the lock bolts and installation of the back, not to mention hardware installation, which on this is quite a job.

The original (you can see photos at the beginning of the thread) has that nice aged orange color of old walnut pieces, so my goal is to at least get started in the orange/brown family. Most of this will be accomplished by the shellac, but I am starting with a "french walnut" aniline dye as the first step.
Attachment:
Desk dyed.jpg
Desk dyed.jpg [ 50.15 KiB | Viewed 3927 times ]

So now it's a matter of time. There's 2 wks of work related traveling I have to do in January, so it will still plod along.

Happy New Year all. Cal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 12 11:38 am   
Old Growth

Good to see you at this stage.

I like a little red in my walnut to warm it up. Luckily this air-dried walnut from Irion already has great deep color so it doesn't need much.

Can't wait to see it finished.

Your little bro,
Matt

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 12 9:15 am   
Bench Dog

At this point I have a couple of coats of shellac on. 2 weeks in New Jersey for corporate meetings/training are putting a damper on my shop time.

Here's the desk lid:
Attachment:
Desk lid.jpg
Desk lid.jpg [ 674.2 KiB | Viewed 3697 times ]

As I commonly do in the winter, the piece has been moved inside for finishing. Doesn't everyone's dining room table look like this?
Attachment:
Pieces during finishing.jpg
Pieces during finishing.jpg [ 736.67 KiB | Viewed 3697 times ]

Later, CH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 12 9:36 am   
Old Growth

And the family gets to enjoy the sweet, sweet smell of shellac!

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 12 9:53 am   
Bench Dog

that's spectacular.

As the sun pulls away from the shore, and our boat sinks slowly in the west...

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 12 11:29 am   
Bench Dog

A few weeks gone, 3 benches built for the Mardi Gras auction, began teaching a class at the KC Woodworker's Guild, but I have squeezed a little time for the desk.

As of last night, I have rubbed out the final coat of shellac and applied a coat of dark brown wax, and polished it out.

Still need install the back, the hardware, and go over each component for cleaning, tweaking, until I can call it done. But....here it is for your viewing enjoyment (albeit the photos are pretty poor)! I will really enjoy finishing this bad boy.
Attachment:
Desk Waxed Exterior.jpg
Desk Waxed Exterior.jpg [ 62.87 KiB | Viewed 3390 times ]
Attachment:
Desk Waxed Interior.jpg
Desk Waxed Interior.jpg [ 115.34 KiB | Viewed 3390 times ]

Thanks for checking it out. Cal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 12 1:56 pm   
Old Growth

Pretty slick, bro. Looking great!

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 12 6:57 pm   
Bench Dog

WOWZA now that is wonderbra, oops vundeba LOL

You will never know what your capabable of until you try.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 12 12:24 am   
Lumber Ruler

Superb!

Cheers
Michael

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 12 2:39 pm   
Push Stick

Cal, what a beartiful desk! The figure is spectacular. Seems like you are part of a very talented woodworking family! I haven't been around these types of desks and was wondering if over time the lopers would mar the finish on the lid. Have you seen any type of covering on the top edge of the lopers that might keep that from happening. Thanks for any info on that.

Pops

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 12 7:11 am   
Bench Dog

Thanks all for the comments! Within the next few weeks, I should have final "glamour shots" ready.

Pops, I can't say that I have ever seen that on an original period desk. There shouldn't be any scraping action if the lopers are consistently pulled out before opening the lid. So...I'm not planning any material there, like felt or something else. Wouldn't be a bad idea though...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Forum rules
By using this forum and/or its affiliated web sites, you are agreeing that under no circumstances will the owners, moderators, its affiliates, or any other member listed on this site be responsible for (1) any information contained on or omitted from the site(s), (2) any person's reliance on any such information, whether or not the information is correct, current or complete, (3) the consequences of any action you or any other person takes or fails to take, whether or not based on information provided by or as a result of the use of the sites. 207 Woodworking, 207 Forum, Thomas J. MacDonald Fine Furniture, Inc. and their affiliates also have no responsibility for (4) any person's satisfaction or use/misuse of any information or advice obtained through these sites.

The Owner and Moderators of this site do not attest to the veracity of, nor accept any liability for, the opinions or suggestions posted by any individuals on either site. When using tools, equipment or chemicals, one should always read, understand and follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and disposal.