Welcome back to the never-ending table project.....
Started this thing and thread a long, long, time ago. Thanks to all who have stuck it out to this point.
Very little shop time (taking it slow anyway due to the stitches), but a couple of things have been accomplished.
I finished up the medial braces (this is the operation that I cut myself cutting out the dovetail slots). This is a simple operation that adds a ton of strength to the table. I angled them to strengthen the table from racking either direction, and carried them full width of the apron because the slab is really heavy. The dovetails carry down about 4". I wanted to leave a decent haunch toward the bottom of the front and side aprons to transfer the load across to the legs.
PICT1374resized.jpg [ 89.73 KiB | Viewed 871 times ]
Next I pegged the tenons. Seems superfluous but I'm glad I took the 1/2 hour to do it. Looks so much better and more like a period piece, which I am after.
Then I set about flushing up the rails and leg posts, as well as attempt to clean up the transition from the knee to the post. This is trickly enough to get clean in a non-carved cabriole leg, here it was much more challenging. Using a few different straight chisels I got them to ok status. My Dad would never accept them this messy....oh well. Here I am happy that I planning to put a heavy glaze as advocated by Radioactive! Should help to disguise any inconsistencies.
- I would make sure that the leg was a little proud of the rail. I was a little opposite. This made the flushing much more difficult. Especially since the knee and the carving made it tough to get a handplane on the area. I used a shoulder plane to some effectiveness but hand to clean it up mostly with chisels and scrapers.
- And that the knee transition on the leg was made a touch higher than the bottom of the rail. I made mine roughly even and had no "meat" to work with, which made more work.
PICT1375resized.jpg [ 89.41 KiB | Viewed 871 times ]
And finally, I was ready to attach the gadrooning to the aprons. I cleaned up the moldings lightly with sandpaper and glued them on. I took a lot of care to be consistent with how much of the molding protrudes from the rail. Looks pretty good and should look great with a glazed finish. I did have the heat in my garage while I was working but I brought it inside the house to dry (my wife "loves" when I do that)
PICT1376resized.jpg [ 91.95 KiB | Viewed 871 times ]
A little bit of cleanup at the knee to molding transitions will be needed.
Now I can flush up the top and start working on the molding under the table overhang. That sound like not much until I realize it will be carved with "egg and dart" motif. My patience is wearing thin on this one......
Thanks for checking in on the project. Cal